15th July 2005 CelebrationsOn the 15th July 1905, the first tests of the newly built Hastings Tramcars took place around Hastings, in preparation for the public opening on the 31st July 1905. Much of this testing took place using Car 10, the first car to be completed at Silverhill. On Friday 15th July 2005 , the club celebrated the centenary of this event by running several trips with Happy Harold, kindly driven by Ion Castro, along the seafront. Throughout the day, Happy Harold ran trips for a small amount of passengers each giving a donation for the trip to and from the Rock-a-Nore coach park. The weather was lovely for a ride on an open top bus, sunny and warm with a cool breeze. At 3.30pm, Happy Harold drove up to the town hall where we met up with a few other members and councilors who boarded Happy Harold for a trip up to Hastings Old Town museum, for the opening of the centenary exhibition of Hastings Tramways. Several items owned by the club are being displayed there. The museum kindly put on tea and biscuits as a celebration. The exhibition was very good and had many interesting exhibits. Overall, the day went off without a hitch and ran very smoothly. Thanks to everyone who helped. It was a most enjoyable day out!
To view the news article that was printed in the Hastings Observer at the time, click on the link below. Hastings Museum Exhibition To view some photos of the event, click on the link below. 2005 Photo Archive